At Tampa Bay K9 Rehab, we offer the best treatments for senior pets to ensure they live the happiest, healthiest lifestyles possible. As with humans, our animals are starting to live longer lives than ever before, thanks to technology and medicine. Unfortunately, with increasing age comes the chance of acquiring a health condition. As your dog ages, they are likely to start feeling its physical effects, but with proper care and treatment it is possible to minimize any and all discomfort, as well as prevent minor aches from becoming serious ailments.
Care and Treatment for Senior Pets
The older your canine is, the closer attention you must pay to any change in their behavior. There are a wide variety of health issues that aging dogs may experience. Some of these include:
- Geriatric Neurological Conditions. A dog is considered “geriatric” at seven years of age, sometimes six for larger breeds.
- Orthopedic Conditions. As dog’s bodies begin to age, they become highly susceptible to orthopedic conditions such as hip dysplasia, lameness, luxating patella, and muscle spasms.
- Senility. If your pooch is experiencing any level of cognitive dysfunction, the kind of treatments for senior pets that include stimulating activity will be very helpful.
- Cancer. Unfortunately, as their increases, so does their risk of cancer. It is important to look for any abnormal swelling or sores that are not healing.
- Obesity. If your dog is overweight, it can be dangerous because it can cause a number of other health conditions including diabetes and heart disease.
Arthritis in Dogs
One of the most common conditions senior pets have to deal with is arthritis. It is important to note that the symptoms of this condition can be easily overlooked, assuming they are simply getting old. But if they have begun to favor one leg, are gaining weight, or are hesitant to climb stairs or run around like they used to, the issue might be bigger than old age. At Tampa Bay K9 Rehab, we offer many arthritis treatments for senior pets. We can help treat arthritis in dogs by providing you with a proper diet and nutrition place, medication (NSAIDS), chiropractic adjustments, and hydrotherapy.
Different Treatments for Senior Pets Offered at Tampa Bay K9 Rehab
As animals age, it is typical to see the quality of their eyesight and hearing decline. Every dog is different, and there are a wide variety of symptoms they could exhibit that indicate something is wrong. So, it is crucial for the owner to be aware enough to monitor their pooch’s behavior and check for any changes.
We offer the most modern and effective forms of treatments for senior pets, including:
- Stem Cell/Regenerative Therapy
- Chiropractic Therapy
- Weight Loss Programs
Common Signs Senior Pets Need Medical Treatment
You probably consider your dog a member of the family, so when their health starts to deteriorate it can be heartbreaking. Because they cannot verbally communicate with us to let us know when and if they are experiencing pain, it is important for us to know what signs to look for in aging pets that may indicate something is wrong. You may need to consider treatment for senior pets in Tampa if you notice:
- Sound sensitivity
- Increased irritability
- Overly protective behavior
- Decreased self-hygiene/grooming
- Difficulty getting up stairs
- Resistance to physical activity of any kind
If your dog has shown any of the above symptoms, it is important you call us today to learn more about the different types of treatments for senior pets we offer here at Tampa Bay K9 Rehab. Contact us online or just give us a call at (727) 521-3518. Never assume that abnormal laziness or increased irritability is just because they are getting older.